Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75; A3 *G; SPG PLAT; NEXUS
Seat upgrade coupons

I have A3 *G, and one of the listed benefits are 4 seat upgrade coupons.

Where exactly would I find these ? I never received them in the package with the luggage tags and gold card, and cant seem to find them on the web site.

Do I need to call in to get them, or what ??

(Planning a Greece sailing trip next year, so I will actulally use them, assuming I can find them !!)
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
They exist only electronically, in your account, and you will never "receive" anything. When you want to use them, you ring Aegean and ask to apply them to your forthcoming booking. Upgrades are contingent on there being upgrade availability open on your flight - they do not give you guaranteed access to an upgrade.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: AC 25k, A3 *G, BA, Westjet Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
I thought I read on one of the other threads that you had to have the coupon number that you printed from out of your account otherwise they won't do an upgrade. Is that not true? If it is, where do you find the certificates?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The coupons will be visible in your account when you log in, just as soon as the website settles down after the upheavals of the changeover.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: A3*G/KFEG
Originally Posted by yyccdg
I thought I read on one of the other threads that you had to have the coupon number that you printed from out of your account otherwise they won't do an upgrade. Is that not true? If it is, where do you find the certificates?
The coupons were available on the site for a brief period after the upgrade, but they have since been removed.

It's hard to say if it'll be up on the site again, it's still a transition period of the site upgrade. Only time will tell.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AB Gold
I called Aegean yesterday using their French number asking to upgrade my flights in January using the coupons. The agent said they couldn't do anything about this at the moment because they also didn't have access to the coupons and asked me to call them again next week.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: A3*Gold
Perhaps this feature will be available in the "manage my booking" section. I suspect it will only be for business A fare which is discounted business.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
So, let's be clear, nothing works after one week, they do not answer the phone, they do not answer emails, they copy paste answers on twitter... and i have flight to upgrade for monday and impossible to do it...
Do talk of all the other new things, nothing is implemented, etc etc... should be nice they do an update. We all have been patient, but now i think it's enough... worst IT and CS... Shame because the inflight experience with A3 is really nice at european standards.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Does this work for flights ticketed on award by partner airlines?

Even if so I doubt it will work for a flight in the coming days.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by lsed
Does this work for flights ticketed on award by partner airlines?
Computer says nooo, hugh!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:26 am

Upgrade Vouchers - Data Point

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I spoke to Aegean and they said that business class upgrade vouchers will be usable from next week and that you can apply them to Flex tickets, not Golight tickets.

It was unclear whether they can be used for companions as she started talking about using miles to upgrade additional seats.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:46 am

As per the other thread I've got a flex booking in P (which as per the current rules doesn't allow upgrading as it is lower than S) - will try next week and report back. Who knows , the rules might have changed. Worst they can say is no
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
As per the other thread I've got a flex booking in P (which as per the current rules doesn't allow upgrading as it is lower than S) - will try next week and report back. Who knows , the rules might have changed. Worst they can say is no
This is not to be considered sexist and neither am I a male chauvinist pig. Having said that, please allow me the following comment:

This is my (TGflyer)girl!

This smiley at the end, right after mentioning the possibility of them saying no, is the proof of one of the few sane people left in this forum. Here's a small gift to you!

Filakia,

K.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:06 am

Well - as long as I take my meds I'm ok ! (So I've been told)
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:14 am

Thanks for the info.

Would be nice to also find out 1) if there needs to be availability in certain fare classes to upgrade and 2) how long in advance an upgrade can be confirmed.

I emailed them about this a couple weeks ago but never got anything back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.